Technical Services Manager
Our customer is the leading owner, operator and developer of large scale, carrier and cloud neutral multi-tenanted data centres in Europe and Asia-Pacific. Our customers use our services to outsource the location of their business critical IT infrastructure. Our ability to provide multi-tenanted environments in secure and resilient space solutions has led to a host of commercially sensitive organisations such as government agencies, banks, stock exchanges as well as multi-national blue chip companies choosing our customer as the location to house their IT equipment.
The Amsterdam data centre, directly connected to the national grid, is the city’s only provider with a dedicated mains power supply of 72MVA (current and planned) at 50kV. With 40,576 sq. m of state of the art space, a planned extension to the data centre will increase this by a further 28,000 sq. m. They aim to consistently offer the highest levels of service, responding quickly to changes in technology and customer requirements.
Our customers continued success depends on the quality of our people and therefore aim to recruit the best talent in the industry and offer continued development to meet our demanding business requirements. We require highly skilled and motivated employees, who are committed to delivering the high standards our customers expect. In return, our employees can expect a stimulating working environment with plenty of opportunities for career development.
We are seeking an manager who can skillfully implement operational strategy, ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and maintain consistent, customer experience practices to promote positive customer retention. This position requires excellent communication skills, organizational agility, strong planning and management coordination skills and the ability to successfully drive initiatives to completion. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, customer-centric, highly professional, teamplaying individual. He or she will deliver a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and desire to deliver high quality service.
Responsibilities will include management of cable infra capacity, customer infrastructure build-outs (cage builds, overhead installations, rack and stack), management of cable infrastructure including cable termination and testing, managing the delivery of cross connect and remote Hands & Eyes services and maintenance works on equipment. These systems include, network (IT) equipment, transmission media, cabling infrastructure customer and CCTV.
a. Manage all customer related Infrastructure upgrades, client fit out and small work projects proposed technical solutions to ensure they are appropriate in the local market and will reduce capital and operational expenditure
b. Operational handover acceptance of all customer related Infrastructure upgrades, client fit out and small work projects on behalf of Operations and Customer Services Management.
c. To design and implement processes to improve Service Implementations and maintain current and future building use information indicating spatial and of the building and the capabilities of the services infrastructure for remaining space.
d. To review delivered Services by contracted parties on behalf of the client at each facility, customer fitout, cabling requirements e.g. cross connects.
e. To Manage the RH&E ( Remote Hands & Eyes), and to Manage the timely delivery of Customer Cross Connects into the Data centre.
f. To manage and maintain the Floor Management, in cooperation with peers and colleagues, make sure power is delivered and managed from Customer perspective, floor tiles arranged in order to provide optimal cooling, colocation areas are clean and tidy, customers are advised and assisted in their rack management views.
g. To maintain and enhance process, procedure and communication to ensure integration of information with other business functions, specifically, facilities management and sales.
Results required from job
1. Health & Safety: As with all employees, the Technical Service Manager will be responsible for adopting safe systems of work as laid out by the clients policies and procedures. Responsible to supervise and improve Health and Safety at the data centre and monitor, report and escalate H & S breaches to senior management.
2. Technical Expert: To be capable of understanding operation of all Telecoms and IT Network equipment on site. An in depth knowledge of assigned technical areas. Understands the technical principles of the Hot-Cold aisle fit outs. Understands the usage and methods for managing Rack air flow e.g. blindplates, and floor management. Hands-on in executing technical implementations.
3. Project Responsibilities: Become the Operations project champion or senior user role for assigned specific projects (technical or organizational). By agreeing technical specifications, critical service performance criteria, services list, space and area drawings that will be incorporated into the Services Agreements made with customers. By checking for compliance to contract specification and scope of works, assessing scope of existing warranties and escalation of issues concerning defects to senior or project management.
4. Reporting: To ensure site measurements and records (as required by management) to monitor performance are collected and presented in a timely and accurate manner.Examples are reporting on status of customer services, financial status, cable infra structure and space capacity. During an incident, that event notification, escalation, and adherence to the clients required notification and escalation policy is achieved.
5. Training: To demonstrate understanding and absorb training in management principles as well as site specific plant operation and configuration. Contribute to Emergency Response Drills on a regular basis and ensure complete readiness for any unforeseen incidents.
- HBO level/work experience
- Knowledge of Internet and Telecoms technology
- Fluency Dutch / English languages
- Significant experience maintaining and operating technical IT en network infrastructure in a production, mission-critical, revenue-dependent, 24/7 environment
- Working at project management or client representative level
- Relevant IT experience, hardware and network knowledge
- Customer facing experience which combines both commercial and engineering aspects
- Relevant project management experience
- Proficient in the use of MS Project and other MS Office programmes
- Fully versed in PM tools, techniques and methods
- Should be familiar with performing data center modernizations to include electrical, security, cross-connect, fiber, copper and interactions with servers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as the role requires consistent reporting and provision of a high quality of information externally and internally. (in English as well as Dutch)
- Analytical and task focused approach
- Customer focused approach based on strong engineering competence
- Commercially oriented
- Knowledge of data center industry.
- Knowledge of people management processes, i.e. performance reviews, recruitment, disciplinary procedures etc.
- Knowledge or experience with ITIL, or ISO standards
- An ability to maintain professional composure and positive approach in pressured situations
- Stress tolerance: continues to carry out incident management and problem analysis under time pressure
Abigail Bakker +31 (0)23-303 2900